BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

2 pictures I love from the just concluded Rebisco Volleyball League



I love this picture. This was at the end of the tournament when all the awards and trophies have been given away. It brings the top three squads of the tournament together -- Nazareth School of National University, De La Salle Lipa, and Holy Rosary College in one picture. But what I love about the picture is that there are no forlorn faces here. Especially for De La Salle Lipa which lost in four sets to NSNU.

What I love about the sport of volleyball is how teams bow to each other after the game. Sports can get intense and even unruly. But the values of sportsmanship must always be observed lest we get consumed by this "winning at all costs" mentality that sucks the life out of the game.

Personally, I am happy to see Rebisco pick up the reigns from the old Shakey's Girls League. It provides a terrific venue for teams around the country to show what they can do. And if helps these kids get collegiate scholarships, that's even better.



And the picture above brings all the participants of the just-concluded Rebisco Volleyball League in one picture. The entire national finals lasted seven days! But what a seven days.

No comments:

Post a Comment