BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Monday, November 26, 2012

Sunday in Bangkok (an off day in the Suzuki Cup)


Bangkok reunion of the Back Four Bums. All four of us have been terribly busy the past few months making it really difficult to get together. Even here in Bangkok, our skeds do not cooperate. One brief moment, we were all in the same place together (and happenstance). But it was all good. We are planning something though.


From the media tribune at Rajamangala Stadium. The tribune was a death trap. Not only was it a treacherous climb but it was also slick because of the rains. I have never seen a stadium that was flooded up in the stands before this. Yes, the seats and tables were wet. You could not plug anything into the sockets because they were wet, and the water was two inches deep! 


Sunday! The original plan was to go to Chatuchak with my media colleagues who have not been there (first time in Bangkok for many of them). I couldn't really walk far so I didn't join them. Went to Nana with Bob Guerrero and Craig Burrows to watch the Group B matches of the Suzuki Cup. This is the prostitution capital of Bangkok and we freaking enjoyed it. Hahaha. First at Temptations (see the pic below) where Craig and I got nearly testy with some other bar patrons then we moved to Golden where we caught the second game. Ask any of us for what happened when you see us. Hahaha. 


At one point while at Temptations, I raised both my legs to the stool to ease the pain on my injured legs. (I applied a pair of sanitary napkins that the wife of TJ Manotoc gave me). One prostitute saw this and laughed. "Is it your monthly?" she asked. We had a laugh. She replaced my Chang beer and "mounted" me. Hahaha.


The first bar that we went to was The Stumble Inn that had seven massive TVs to watch sports. But since we wanted to see the sights we moved around. See the sked of the game in the pic above. Had a multi-tasking job of watching the Suzuki Cup on the left, Liverpool-Swansea on the right and Tweeting. Hahaha.


My first time to drink with Bob Guerrero (Craig Burrows had bottled water). We had Chang and Tiger. We all swapped football stories and the kind that goes with this place. Hahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment