BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Friday, July 27, 2012

The Summer Olympics Special issue from Time Magazine


Good sportswriting is hard to find outside Sports Illustrated, the Associated Press, and the awesome dudes at espn.com. Time Magazine, while mostly featuring worldly stuff, occasionally features terrific profiles and stories of athletes and sports events. And the Olympics is one event that they have done a great job of reporting. The latest issue has about five different covers (three different ones in the United States alone with one for Europe/Africa and one for Asia (see image below). Purchased my copy the other day but began reading it late last night. Will finish it tonight then offer my two cents' worth. From what I read so far the research as well as the amount of detail is fascinating. That's what sets them apart from other media bureaus -- their attention to detail and reporting while retaining a literary flair. 


If you like good sports writing and reporting then do yourself a favor and pick up this issue. 


No comments:

Post a Comment