BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Bleachers' Brew #283 Thrill & agony in these games

This appears in the Monday October 31, 2011 edition of the Business Mirror.

Thrill & agony in these games
by rick olivares

Sporting events are supposed to be memorable because -- if I may borrow from the late great Jim McKay -- of thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. But they can also be memorable or forgettable due to controversial calls, the incompetence of tournament officials, or the light and funny moments.

Going to the 16th Philippine Sports Commission University Games (October 22-29) at Roxas City, Capiz, I went through the whole gamut of emotions of a sporting event.

As soon as I arrived, I proceeded to the media center to ask for information regarding teams, results, the history, and the works. I was told in return that I cannot be given all of that because I might out-scoop everyone else. Okay. Now I knew what I was up against. I tried a different tactic by requesting for the previous day’s updates and if it could be sent via email. I got a look like the word “email” has gone the way of the carrier pigeon. When they finally got around to sending the information via email, it arrived two day’s late.

When I went to the sports venues, practically almost all the games were delayed not by a few minutes but sometimes for as much as two and a half hours. That screwed up everyone’s schedules as teams were forced to miss meals and coaches had to worry about keeping their players’ focus a whole lot longer.

Prior to matches, when I inquired about team lineups, table officials would refer to me to the supervising officials who would direct me back to the table officials. But the record books only have their surnames,” I explained. “I need to get their full names.

“Doon sa media center meron silang mga kumpletong lineup,” replied one official who in all fairness said it rather nicely and tried to be helpful.

Forgetaboutit. Been there. Done that.

While at the Capiz Gym to watch some of the men’s basketball games, I went up to the john to take a leak. Not only were the urinals overflowing with urine but also there was no running water anywhere.

I went back to the bleachers and groaned about the poor facilities to no one in particular. One female athlete shared that in the school where they were quartered, you could smell the bathrooms from some 20 feet away. It was that overpowering. The bathrooms were so poorly maintained that the girls had to place tissue paper on the toilet seat. So much for comfort.

The games too had their own bit of comedy relief.

During the women’s volleyball match between the University of the Philippines (Diliman) and Ateneo de Davao University at the Colegio de la Purisima Concepcion last Tuesday, a dog wandered onto the court in the middle of the third set that saw some Davao players comically scampering away. The stray dog eventually left after about a minute perhaps unhappy about being the butt of jokes.

Last Thursday, during the semifinals women’s football match between De La Salle University and the University of Santo Tomas, the two teams went into penalties to decide who will advance to the finals. As both squads trooped to the far end for the shootout, another dog wandered onto the pitch and this one took a dump right on the touchline!

I guess with the success of the Azkals and the rise to prominence of local football, the beautiful game I should say is going to the dogs.

But ultimately, the games belonged to the athletes who put on a thrilling show despite the terrible organization.

There were spectacular upsets (Dipolog Memorial Medical Center thrashing UP 3-0 in men’s football and De La Salle University’s 89th minute goal and game winner against University of St. La Salle that thoroughly dominated the match) and there were tense matches such as the penalty shootout between the women’s squads of UST and DLSU that saw 12 players take spot kicks that the former won 10-9.

There was a story of revenge after the La Salle men’s football team abandoned a match against the University of Negros Occidental-Recoletos following a controversial goal that saw the Rams collected a 1-0 win. The two squads faced each other once more in the finals with the Green Archers this time routing UNO-R 4-1 for the crown.

The volleyball matches were always packed with people who came out to watch the volleybelles they only saw on television during the V-League and UAAP season. The crowds were lined up three, four deep. Some even climbed up construction scaffoldings to get a better view.

And speaking of crowds, the quarterfinals match between Ateneo de Manila and local side Hercor College drew 7,000 people to a 3,000 capacity gym that police officials dispatched their SWAT team for additional security. The Blue Eagles were easily the most watched team of the games.

The Roxas City crowd was gracious with their applause and praise (for sure there was some heckling). Although they had their clear favorites, they cheered for all sides. They also made their displeasure known for bad basketball and were embarrassingly quiet when the referees made dubious calls that favored local sides.

It’s a great sports event. In fact, the PSC for the first time adopted the University Games as its official tertiary competition and a part of its grassroots program.

As I waited for my flight back home to Manila last Saturday and reflected on the week that was, I was thinking of how to write this column and what the lasting image of these games were for me. As I sat in my seat, typing on my laptop, across me was an athlete fast asleep after all the intense competition.

In her arms was the trophy that her team fought hard for.

6 comments:

  1. The officiating was also very questionable in the game of DLSU vs. UP. UP Women's Football team suffered a defeat against DLSU on questionable calls by the referrees. First goal of UP was ruled to be a handball but the referee who made the call could not have seen the handball as he was a good distance behind the player without any clear view of hand of the player! There were several questionable calls made by the referees and succeeding free kicks were granted to DLSU with a successful conversion done by a La Salle booter eventually around the 85th minute. It seemed like when players go down, it was automatically UP who got fouled. UP was dominating the play and it was as if opportunities were being given to DLSU to score a goal. Someone was heard commenting that the referees were making up for their wrong officiating during the UST vs. La Salle game. Coach of DLSU questioned why a player who was given a red card was allowed to play in the kick off. Tsk, tsk.. Next year, with the PSC involved in the unigames, it is expected that the officiating will be much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boss, were you able to eat at the seafood restos in Baybay Beach? Or the inasal near the President's Hotel? So cheap yet so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand how you feel. This year's games was totally disorganized. You can find very info on the net. Kahit blog di gumawa ang mga organizers. It was so difficult to know the schedules and the venues. Went there last friday to watch the volleyball games and the schedule was posted only the wall for the locals to see but how about those from other places who would like to watch the games? i'm sure clueless din sila. Purisima should learn how CPU hosted the games in 2009 coz maganda ang pag organize and most of the venues of the games are found within the campus. With PSC planning to make the Unigames a permanent fixture in Panay-Negros area I do hope that Bacolod, Iloilo and Dumaguete will host the games regularly. With 2012, USLS hosting the event, I do hope CPU will once again host it in 2013 coz it would definitely be a memorable one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sir, I understand and sympathize with all the hardships you experienced.I am from Roxas City, Capiz, and that has been the trend there since way back then...disorganized in everything...no wonder my beloved city is not progressing...but the sea foods are definitely cheap and delicious...and NO ASWANG for sure, hahaha..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. I was excited to go there since it was my first time. Roxas City has its own pluses for sure. The people are nice and very friendly I'll say. I wish I got to go around more but I was oft working late into the night. My bile is reserved for the ineptness of officials with regards to the event and I am not sure that local school officials have a monopoly on that. The media center is a huge disappointment for sure. Next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. “You must never be satisfied with losing. You must get angry, terribly angry, about losing. But the mark of the good loser is that he takes his anger out on himself and not his victorious opponents or on his teammates.”
    - Richard M. Nixon

    ReplyDelete