BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What's your color anyways?


A car salesman in Chicago was fired for refusing to remove a Green Bay Packers tie he wore to work.  According to the owner of the dealership, it might also affect sales as angry Chicagoans might not want to buy a car from a Packers fan. Honestly, as much as it displeases me I think it’s the salesman’s prerogative. However, that salesman should have been more circumspect. After all, the loss was painful for Chicago Bears fans. 

That reminded me of that clerk at the Strand bookstore in Union Square.  In the basement section where you have the hardbound and coffeetable books, I remember the guy who worked the help counter always wore a Red Sox cap and he would always go into this diatribe against the Yankees (he should have moved to New England). As much as I wanted to decapitate him I guess people are entitled to be Red Sox fans. It wasn't always a pretty sight. One time a Yankees fan tried to slug him and had to be restrained.

Sports and the passions it elicits sure makes us different people.

1 comment:

  1. it all boils down to one thing. RESPECT. whether you like it or not, there are things we cannot take control of so better leave them that way. it's like going for neil etheridge or phil younghusband, it's all a matter of taste. :P

    ReplyDelete