BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Mine tangled thoughts III

Listening to AM radio yesterday, there was this congressman (is he) relating how someone approached him before the start of the campaign period about how they could rig the elections through the CF card. And if he paid up, they could guarantee a win. He said he wasn't an IT guy so he couldn't understand it. Now after the elections he comes up with the story. For one, it's like that in this country; if you lost, chances are you were cheated out of a win. Two, whether you know IT or not, I'm sure you know what cheating is. It's too late for you. You should have come out with it even before the elections.

What's this crap about LBJ, his mom, and Delonte West?

I feel bad about the loss of Smart Gilas to Kazakhstan. The team has been working real hard to the point of exhaustion and too much basketball. The crabs will be out to criticize them and this might be unfair to the team. But then again, to many people, there's nothing in between but Ws and Ls.

Many have asked me if I fought with the SBP leadership hence my reticence to write about them. No, there was none. Not even a disagreement. Simply put, it's hard to write about the team from a distance. I cannot simple craft a story about them based on the ED's text (although some can). I'm just not wired that way. I missed the last two trips and that makes it hard. Does it have something to do with not going? Yes, it does. It can be frustrating when you're told you're going then it doesn't happen (More so when people inside give conflicting stories as to what happened. Right, Joey?). It's also hard to rely on interviews after the fact because details get lost in translation. Lalo na pagtalo. They don't want to talk about it. Does this make me unhappy? Of course, it does. We were supposed to prep stories for a long term goal that is a book on the team. At least my colleagues are there so we can follow what they write (and I trust the guys over there).

This is an interesting read from the New York Times about the French Open poster.

And on the eve of the Stanley Cup -- the NHL Finals, here is a nice article about my downtrodden NY Islanders and how their dynasty of three decades ago remains the best in NHL history.

No comments:

Post a Comment