BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

More New York Yankees collectibles


Newspapers would routinely insert special magazines or coupons that you can exchange certain collectibles. Sometimes they cost a little money (a dollar or two). Me being a Yankee fan, I was a sucker for them. This is a nifty magazine insert that was included every Friday for almost three months. Then after that, the inserts were posters. I don't think that you can say that they were hastily put up materials. On the contrary, the magazines had well-written articles and was tantamount to a game broadcast with all the stats, facts, and figures. But I can't say the same about the posters; they were horrible.

And when you go to a game (whatever sport) there are giveaways at the gate. These too were collectible items. In New Jersey, I got a Devils scarf. At Nassau, I think I had shirts, stickers, and bobble heads. At the old Yankee Stadium, I got a scarf, a shirt, a bobble head, several free drinks, and others collectibles. Obviously, I don't have any of that with me now since I left everything back in my old room there save for a Yankees bandana from Snapple.

No comments:

Post a Comment