BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Random thoughts

After I put down my thoughts on Mark Barroca, I must have been ambushed by about two dozen people asking questions about it. Two in the know chided me for that. The sad thing about this is how prevalent the situation is for many teams. You would be shocked to know who has been accused over the past few years and if you listen to that, you'd ask, "Why?" Or even, "how?" Personally, I mutter some expletives and feel bad about the game.


Recently, I was graciously allowed inside the briefing room for the referees and was privy to the selection of refs, the pre and post game analyes and even a tongue lashing by Commish Joe Lipa on the refs and table officials for two botched calls. It was revealing and made me understand a few things.


With all of this, I wonder why there isn't a more concerted effort to fix things. People always tell me that they are doing something about it. But I've been hearing that for so long. It reminds me of government officials who once said that when the flyovers and MRTs are in place, we will see less traffic.


On to something else...


Years ago, during an off-season match, I got on Sandy Arespacochaga's case when he fielded an unusual line-up during an Ateneo match versus San Beda. I was a few rows behind the bench and my comments were heard not just by the players but by those within earshot. I apologized after the match and have not done that since. When I see others do that now, I find it most shameful and distasteful. I must admit that there are times when I question strategies by coaches but like anything else, at times they are proven right and sometimes wrong. So I've learned to curb my comments except during the rare times that the coaches ask my opinion (after thew matches of course). One coach even used a suggestion and it was a relief to know that it worked. But I'm not going to let that get to my head.


I cussed at the refs and opposing opponents one time that the son of a schoolmate uttered the same words one time much to my shame and embarrassment. I've refrained from that since. After all, the games now are a family affair and you will never know who you will be making an impression on.


Sitting down courtside, you have a different perspective on what goes on in the court. Like the players, you aren't really aware of the crowd but are focused on what goes on the game. There's an apparent peace at the center of the storm and I like it. It has allowed me to sit back and look at things differently. It has given mean opportunity to capture snippets of conversation between players, coaches, referees and officials or even with fans.


There was a priceless bit of conversation I heard between Rico Maierhofer and Peejay Barua from last year that four of us heard. There was Leo Canuday talking to Kirk Long, San Sebastian's Jimbo Aquino and his defender from Perpetual Help, Elmer Espiritu and Pari Llagas on guarding Pipo Noundou, and more.


I'll be back for more of my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment