BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Friday, April 11, 2008

Aye, there's the rub, lads.


Last week while at the office, one of the Australian bosses arrived for work and saw a number of people in the lobby waiting for a meeting or presentation with someone at the company. She slipped over a number of magazines to the waiting folks while announcing that they were football magazines. The Filipinos grinned and browsed through the magazine for a minute or two before placing them on top of the table. "Football," one shook his head and said to no one in particular. "Hindi ko naintindihan 'tong laro."

It's fine really. To each his own.

A friend of mine received an invitation to a tryout for a French Ligue 1 team this summer (ours not theirs). I saw the letter, "football is played here as a recreational sport not anything else." I have to admit that one hurt a bit.

During my recent trip to Bangkok on work, one of our British partners was astonished that I knew so much about football and was infinitely passionate about the game. "But don't Filipinos like basketball and the NBA," he quizzed as he was unable to disguise his wonderment. I explained myself rather eloquently but I also received the shock of my life when he admitted to loving the NBA in return. I then remarked to everyone that it reminded me of a Charles Barkley quote, "You know the world has gone crazy when the best rapper is white and the best golfer is black."





Now does that remind you of Hillary Clinton coming under sniper fire when she visited Serbia? No? Bwahahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment