BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Migs Escueta

I helped manage Ateneo Team B from 2004-05. That was one heck of a season. I came back from the US and felt crushed Team A faltered in UAAP play. A very good friend of mine Ateneo Sports Shooter Joseph Nocos instead invited me to watch Team B. "They have a good team now," he said. So I went along with Fr. Nemy Que SJ and that one game (versus UST) changed my life. I'll get to that at some other point.

I hadn't seen Team B in years and always thought that they weren't that good. If they featured players who weren't good enough for the A Team, then it was used as a training ground for recuperating Team A players to find their groove. Maybe the one Team B that intrigued me prior to that season was the year they had Ma Ming and Jude Turcuato in the line-up.

But this team was good. I'll probably post here what I wrote about that team soon...maybe after this season. Some of the players on that team included Zion Laterre, Eman Nazareno, Zach Estoesta, and Migs Escueta among many others. Hey, to my Team B boys I ain't forgetting ya'll.

What I didn't know -- Migs is also Yuri's cousin as well as Olsen Racela's -- was this other bloke Escueta could sing.

So here is a shameless plug of his album. You rock, brother!

By the way, our current Team B line-up has Jeff De Guzman, Paolo Dizon, and Tonino Gonzaga among others. They are currently undefeated (if I am not mistaken) in Fr. Martin II play. They are winning even if they don't have good big men. Do yourselves a favor and watch them. Over the weekend, I promise to post what I wrote about that team back then. That should get ya'll in the mood for hardcore basketball.



No comments:

Post a Comment